Last month WKBW Channel 7 featured a local lady named Ann Constantino who is an aerobics instructor on the 11:00 news. The surprising fact about Ann is that she’s 90 years old! She was also featured as a Super Senior in Buffalo Spree Magazine, and even has YouTube videos where she jumps rope on one leg!
What’s the point?
Let’s face it, growing old gracefully is easier said than done. And since you can’t actually turn back the clock – the point is that it’s really never too late to start getting and staying in better shape.
September is Healthy Aging® Month. This is an annual observance designed to focus national attention on the positive aspects of growing older.
To celebrate the more mature generation, here are some tips that will really help you lead a healthier lifestyle.
- Stop smoking! Did you know that within only 20 minutes of quitting smoking, your blood pressure, pulse rate and the temperature of your hands and feet have returned to normal? In only 48 hours, damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. And in just 1 year, your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke have dropped to less than half that of a smoker. It’s safe to say that quitting for good will have a positive impact in just a short amount of time!
- Get your BMI in check. BMI or Body Mass Index will tell you if you are under weight, average, overweight or obese. Getting your body down to a normal range, will help decrease your risk of heart disease and many different types of cancer.
- Know your numbers. Get your cholesterol and blood pressure checked regularly. And work with your physician to keep your numbers in the normal range.
- Exercise. We’re not asking you to run a race or become a fitness instructor. But taking small steps to increase your flexibility, strength and stamina will be good for your body and help relax your mind. Yoga, biking, walking and swimming are all types of exercise that can be modified to fit your unique abilities.
- Have fun! Remember to take care of your mind by incorporating activities into your day that make you happy. De-stress by getting together with friends, visiting the grandchildren or even reading a great book on your front porch. Taking time for you is an essential ingredient to living a fulfilling life.
If you or someone you know is looking for a primary doctor, we are now accepting new patients. Give Invision Health a call today. We are located conveniently across Western New York. Find the Invision Health location nearest you.